Friday, December 12, 2008

Day 103: Barcelona

I woke up from my restful slumber at 9 am to check emails about whether or not I was to meet Libby. Nothing, in which case I drifted back in to said slumber.

I gathered consciousness again at 11:30 and jumped in the shower. I packed my backpack with the necessities, looked at barcelona's weather on google and at noon made my way for Santa Maria Novella train station. Along the way I picked up a pack of gummy bears for my journey. Upon arrival at the station, I basically walked the Terravision bus and used the ticket that Greg and I bought on the plane a couple weeks ago. It worked. The bus ride seemed to have taken forever, which was fine because I started my new book by Nick Hornby called A Long Way Down. I got the airport, checked in, waited for 30 minutes, boarded the plane and got the same seat I always sit in with RyanAir. (Greg, that weirdo attendent guy from our flight that sold us our bagged whiskey was on this one too). The flight lasted about an hour and a half and then I landed in Girona. From there I took a bus that lasted about an hour to Barcelona.

Of all the cities I've been too with metro systems, this was the first time that I was really confused. First of all, I couldn't even find the metro in the beginning. Finally, when I had, it was confusing as to which lines actually intersected. Let's rewind a second. At the bus station in Barcelona, I booked my hostel at this place called InOut. 9 euro a night, haha, way better deal that I thought.

So I went to Plaça Catalunya and walked around, and since it was night a lot of christmas lights were on. I ate at this little pub called George and Dragon. I had a beer, cheeseburger, and fries. It was delish. While there I planned my route to get to the hostel. I arrived to InOut at about 9 pm and checked in. They took a 10 euro deposit for the key which I'll get back when I check out. I dropped my bag off in the room and met a woman named Kate who was wondering if we could sight see together. I agreed and then got online to check emails and tell my parents that I had arrived safely.

I went to bed but before falling asleep read some more of my book.

No comments: