Sunday, December 14, 2008

Day 105: Barcelona

I woke up at 8:45, showered, and headed to the cafeteria with Kate. We had the same breakfast as yesterday. During breakfast I checked my email to see if Pedro was able to meet today. We decided to meet at Plaça de Catalunya's metro stop and head to Park Guell at 2 pm.

Kate and I headed off and stopped first at Casa Mila. This place is extraordinary. Gaudi's mind was incredible. He came up with the most bizarre and amazing things I've seen. During the museum part of the house, an audio stated that his professor wasn't sure if he was a genius or just insane. The museum walked us through some of his inspiration, his biography, and even some of his furniture. Gaudi believe in creating even the furnishings for his architecture. The roof of the house was even more incredible. The curves and sculptural techniques were astonishing. We got to go through one of the apartments in the house as well. None of the rooms in the house are identical. The apartment was decorated with things from the early 1900's and was extravagant. After the house, we got some lunch at this cafe. I got a burger and fries which was the biggest rip off one could imagine. No bun with the burger. 10 fries. Ugh. I digress though. We headed towards the metro station to meet Pedro. He wasn't there and after a few minutes we decided to move on without him.

We took the metro to a stop near the water and walked along the pier. We saw some people doing a line dance before walking around a mall. We stopped at an ice cream shop and I got a hot chocolate. On the way back towards the metro, I stopped at a market where they were selling 45's. I found a Led Zeppelin single 'Fool in the Rain.' It cost 25 dollars, so I walked on. We went to Parc Guell. This place was originally meant to be an entire community. It was to consist of its own church, markets, homes, and schools. The project failed though, and what is left are some pretty interesting houses. They look like gingerbread houses. While there, we ran into Pedro and his brother and their girlfriends. I gave him his sunglasses that he left in Florence and talked for a bit. We went our separate ways. Kate and I walked to the metro line and took it back to Catalunya. We ate at this all you can eat buffet place and then headed back to the hostel. On the walk up the hill, there was a man in front of us. As we got closer to him he pointed out 2 wild boars literally 20 feet away from us. Kate immediately turned her back to the boars, claiming that if you avoid eye contact they won't attack. Let's just say I had my best kicking foot ready just incase they tried somethin'.

I read some more before bed. I slept.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your trip is almost over!
Have a safe flight!

Irena