Wednesday, September 17, 2008

16

It has been a very exhausting day. it is now 3:44 am. I will update this post tomorrow to tell you about my day! It was so adventurous!

Goodnight!!


* * *

Four hours of sleep has left me tired, but I have to update this post and tell you about my yesterday.

I woke up at 10:30 am, attemped to take a shower. The water was ice cold, and remained ice cold until I finally gave up. I got dressed, ate a pear, and headed in the direction of the Duomo. I've noticed, as I'm sure millions of others have, that the Duomo is an excellent guide. I knew of a supply store near there, so once I found that, I was in business. I had to go to Zeccio to get some decorative paper for book arts. After this, I went to SACI, dropped serigraphy (because I don't want to be loaded with too many classes and miss out on Florence itself), checked for the camera cord, and then cut through the market on my way to class. I stopped at some vendors to try and haggle the price of a pair of sunglass from 8 euro down to 3. He said no. Maybe next time!

soft cover accordion

I went to class and we made one book, and started another. Both were accordion style and I will show you them once they're completely finished. During the break, I went to get an espresso and burnt my tongue. After class, I went home to make lunch, which was actually reheated pasta and ravioli. It was pretty good, but I found out that Italian culture isn't so into the whole reheating thing. When their pasta is done, it is time to eat. No questions asked.

I spoke to my mom on the phone, whose power was still out. I still can't fathom going through that. I thought 2 - 3 hours of no electric was bad. I watched the beginning of Trainspotting, and then Vincent got home. He was going to watch a soccer match, then he'd give me a call once he got back with his car at 10:30 pm. We were going to Pisa! He had to pick up his friend from the airport and asked me if I'd want to tag along. Of course! While he was gone, I worked on my collage for design.

Vincent at the tower!

We ended up leaving for Pisa at 11 pm, with her expected arrival time to be 11:30, we were surely not going to make it on time. We talked on the way about our different cultures and how our way of living differs where we grew up. We also talked about some traveling that we've each done. We finally made it to the airport at 11:50, which was fine because her flight was slightly delayed. After getting her, our adventure truly began. We spent atleast 30 minutes driving around in circles, over the Arno River, back around, to the center, the outskirts, and finally found a map of Pisa. We looked, figured out our best plan of attack, and set sail. We had to park and walk to the tower, and it was truly breathtaking to see in person. All of the times I've seen it in books could not compare to what it is like in person. It's like that with everything I've seen so far. Pictures just don't cut it. After seeing the tower, we went to a small cafe. We each ordered a sandwich, and three drinks, with the total coming to 35 euro. I was shocked, I couldn't even articulate my thoughts. I guess because it was the only place open, they could get away with it. I reluctantly paid, and we got back in the car at 2:18 am. I fell asleep almost immediately. We arrived to florece by quarter after three, and finally arrived to the apartment and parked at 3:30. I tried to get online, but the compare was going super slow and I was so exhausted. I posted a brief message on this post, then went to bed.

Four hours went by way too quick.

1 comment:

NAK4nonprofit said...

Just work through being tired bro. It seems like you are pretty busy but I hope you have some time to have more fun! Sorry about not keeping up with you but I plan on posting more often.

Take it easy and love Italy!

Nick

P.S. How is the language barrier going?