Sunday, September 21, 2008

Twenty.

I slept til noon.

I showered, made a sandwich, read the NY times online, and grabbed some things I'd need for the design center.

I designed two collages at the design center. I was there for about 2 and a half hours and the computer was going ridiculously slow. A girl who is helping with the video, Libby, is allowing me to borrow her mac tomorrow so that I can finish the third collage.

I came home, sat around for a while, and then reheated some pasta that I had the other night, adding new sauce, peperoncino with aglio (garlic) spice, and pepper. With it a glass of juice. I checked some emails and read some things from gallup.com. I talked to Antonio for a little bit and then wasted some time on the adobe and apple websites, doing fake orders to see how much things really cost. An imac and a macbook pro is only $5,000. I quickly closed that window.

I also spent some time looking up recipes and such to see what all I can make for the dinners to come. I love cooking and being in Italy only perpetuates that. I'm also craving cheesecake so perhaps I can make one from scratch soon. I'm excited for this week, and am very interested to see how the classes go. I've been really motivated so far. I'm also loving the weather. It's been in the 70's and my room has been pretty cool throughout the day. I'm able to sleep comfortably, even though the supposed comforter that was provided with the room is thinner than a sweatshirt.

I'm astonished, also, that I've been here for 20 days already. It is flying by so quickly. I was walking home from designing today, thinking about how smoothly everything is going at the moment. It's easy to fall in love with the way of living here. Being able to take coffee breaks as needed to take strolls through the streets. Although it is beautiful, there is a lot that can be fixed. People allow their dogs to defecate on the sidewalks without cleaning up after them, they throw down wrappers and cigarette butts without thinking twice. There is graffiti everywhere, ruining the architecture that was once excellent. There is a smell at times too, reminiscent of porta-potties, that seems to linger in certain areas. With all good things, there are bad, and I suppose Florence is no exception.

However, there are times when the air has the freshest, most crisp aroma to it. Occasions when the breeze feels perfect on your skin, and it is during those moments that you can't help but to close your eyes and smile at the remarkable ambience that surrounds you.

Ciao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whip up a little tiramisu instead of cheesecake while you're there and have some for me. As for the dogs in the streets, I'm surprised they are not cleaning up all those ciggie butts, etc., as my dogs can and will eat anything. They are worse than goats. You would think that would solve some of the litter problems. Oh well. As for the stench in, ah, certain areas, every city has those, sad to say.

Still, thanks for taking me to Italy. It was always my dream to study art in Florence.