Thursday, September 18, 2008

Day Seventeen

Four hours went by way too quick.

I woke up at 8 am, startled from the alarm. And then upset because of it. I got up, dressed, and left for Art History. Surprisingly, no heavy eyes found me while listening to the lecture. I had to distract myself at times by sketching, which I hardly do anymore. Who knows though, perhaps Florence is just the cure to get me motivated back into drawing. I had to take a mini break, about half way through the 2 hour lecture, to walk around and wake up a bit. When I returned, Helen commented about my leaving. She said to please try and stay during the entire lecture because it is very possible to miss something important. She then, wonderfully and with complete generosity, she showed me the slides I missed to quickly catch me up.

After class, I checked the mailbox for the cord. Still nothing. I really hope that it was not lost in the mail. I then ventured home for breakfast and a quick nap before my 1 o'clock class. I got home at 10:40, made scrambled eggs and toast with jelly. I talked to Vincent for a bit about how tired I was. Complaining makes things so much easier, I think. Then attempted to take a power nap. Set the alarm for 12:30 and when it went off, reset it for 12:40.

Graphic Design was tough today. Not that it was difficult, but that the sleep my body needed was now catching up with me. I worked on the computer the whole time, once again starting over with my collage. Finally, I was able to go home. I ate some pasta for a late lunch at 4, then wandered to my bed, where I slept for 2.5 hours. It was a remarkable rest. Now, almost two hours after the nap, I'm wide awake, re-energized, and ready to get some reading done. Unfortunately, my lack of sleep mixed with the forced concentration on the computer forced me to put on my glasses once I woke from my nap. Today marks the first day since I've been here that I've worn them.

I talked to mom today and the power has finally been turned back on at the house. They went for 48 (i mean 86) hours without electricity. It's crazy! However, one of our fish died, which upsets me.

Sometimes, when I lie down, I'm amazed at how relaxed I am here. I can imagine being home and it comforts me, but it is so peaceful in Florence. Now that the weather has become cooler, and I've grown slightly accustomed to my schedule, It seems that I can now, finally, breathe. I get this weird feeling when I think about where I am, and the journey that I've taken so far to get here. It's been tough, especially the planning stages. Last year, I would have thought this experience to be unlikely to ever occur. I worked hard though to make sure that it happened, and it has. I'm thankful for my safety while here, and especially grateful that I am able to remain in close contact with family and friends back home. I thank you all for commenting on my entries because it helps to alleviate any anxieties that I would have if I had to be completely shut off from you all.

Grazie.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

48 i wish. 86 hours of powdered donuts and grilled pork.

Unknown said...

I know the tired thing man, I've been an orientation leader for the incoming freshman for the past 2 days, it's been crazy.

Why do you need the cord? Can't you take out the memory card and put it in the computer?

Well have a good weekend man!

James Martin said...

yeah the reader isn't working on the laptop, but hooray! i got the cord today!