Tuesday, September 23, 2008

double deuce

I slept so wonderfully last night that it was tough to actually get out of bed. I finally gave in to the alarm clock and got up. I read some of the New York times website and then got a shower. I packed up my computer and headed to Heather's apartment to use her mac to finish up some last minute collage work. I had 2 nearly completed, and had to layout the third. The files are so large and annoying to deal with. I'm going to rework them, with some new ideas on Thursday while in class. When I tried to open the files, they would take forever to load, and alternatively, took forever to save, a few times actually freezing the program. It was frustrating because the labs in which we should be able to work in, are full with classes almost every day. I think I will try and go to the design center at different times to meet with teachers and see if they would find it a distraction if I were to creep into the back of their class to work on some things. I had lunch at Heather's as well. They've been so genuinely hospitable to me.

After finally saving the last file, I ran to class. I was 25 minutes late. I hate being late to class and especially on a critique day. However, I'd rather have my work completed and show up late, than to show up on time and have nothing to show. A teacher won't take into consideration punctuality when you come unprepared. A teacher, however, will most likely overlook tardiness if the work shown is desirable. I showed my three collages to the class and was shocked at the lack of criticism of the supposed critique. Camilla made a couple comments, asked the class if they had anything to say, and then almost instantly dismissed the group away from my monitor back to their seats. A few people complimented me on the collages, but I was expecting more feedback. Class went extremely long, and because of the less-than-stellar morning, I wasn't so in to spending three hours looking at the same files. I spent some time researching hostels, trains, emails, and other design work.

After class, I went back to the apartment. It was around 4:30 when I got back and so I straightened up the bedroom, made the bed, organized some papers, and then began brainstorming some dinner ideas. I finally decided to go with chicken and fried potatoes. I poured some olive oil in two pans, sprinkled some peperoncino in both, some salt and pepper in the potato pan, and loaded it with sliced potatoes. I put a piece of chicken in the other and naturally added spices as I saw fit. A pinch here and there, eyed to precise measurement, to create a magnificent meal. I coupled the dinner with red wine and a glass of milk.

After dinner, I began brainstorming ideas for the Identity that is the next project in design. We have to come up with an Identity for the area of San Lorenzo. I believe for mine, however, I will focus on the Central Market (as I did with the collages) and come up with an Identity for the interior of the market. I have some ideas of using color to represent different areas. I also can already see the mark that I'm going for. I've begun sketches and hope to narrow down some of the ideas by class on Thursday.

I also spent some time catching up on the political news. There's always something new to read up on and its quite entertaining the way each side attacks the other. I'm patiently waiting for my absentee ballot. I know that this election will come down to my vote. So, remember that it is I who decided the outcome of the election. Unless McCain wins.

I made a coffee, which is awesome to be able to make myself. I added milk and sugar of course. Then I became wired. I started looking at different fashion, luring me in to possibly getting my own suit while here. I guess it's ok to think this way until I see the price tags. If I do get one though, best believe that you all will be the first to know.

I talked to mom for a bit online and she sent me a recipe. I will try it out soon. It's called: chicken tetrazzini....wait for it... with a twist! We'll see how it goes. I have to find some canned goods (cream of mushroom) so if anyone knows where to find this, let me know.

A'las, I'm exhausted and the bed I made earlier looks so comfortable. I will see you all tomorrow! Goodnight!

2 comments:

nellifirenze said...

I left a comment on a older post (11 sept.) I don't know if you have an email alert about comments...

anyway
just to say

ciao :)
after my week in Ny I'm back in Florence.

Kevin Woodland said...

cream of mushroom? good luck, it took me a month and a half to find chap-stick.