Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dia 2

Today began at noon when I woke up sweating. It was fine though because I got a good night's sleep. I re-wrapped my sling and checked my email. [thanks for the replies!]

Since my room was so hot, I moved out to the dining room which is a lovely space. The large windows open entirely which is letting in a slight but refreshing breeze. Again, the tv is on MTV, although this time its all in Italian. They keep advertising the movie Hancock heavily during commercials with Italian dialogue, which is funny because the lips don't quite match up.

I've also been doing some research for markets and stores around my apartment. There doesn't seem to be any as close as I would like. After a couple of hours doing research and actual music videos, I venture off towards SACI's main building, the Palazzo dei Cartelloni. My hope was to arrive to the building, collect my luggage, ask about where to activate a cell phone, and convert money. As I arrive, the front door to the building is locked. A few minutes later a woman leaves the building and I ask her about SACI. She tells me to go to the first floor. There is a door there with a small sign that reads SACI so I try to enter. The door is locked, so I press a small button which makes a buzz sound. I try to press the button while opening the door but still to no avail. Finally, I knock and wait for a few more minutes before leaving.

the main street i walk every day!

My planned 15-minute walk to SACI has left me empty handed. The airport had assured me that the luggage would be sent to SACI today but if I was not able to get inside, how would they? On the way home, I passed a market that was very nice. It had a lot of meat selections, fresh bread, and fruit. I will venture in tomorrow to see more and to hopefully buy a few things. I walked from the Palzzao dei Cartelloni to the Design Center located a few blocks away. This, too, was closed. A little annoyed, I walked back to the apartment. I emailed SACI asking why the door was locked. I then went to the corner market and bought some bread and meat for a couple of sandwiches. A few hours later, I checked emails, hoping that SACI would have emailed me informing me of either luggage, or why they were closed. Nothing. After an uneventful day, I showered, changed the gauze, and relaxed. I began reading a book that I bought for the flight but never felt the urge to start while flying.

Now, 70 pages in, I've decided to update you all on my second day in Italia.

Ciao!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I decided I'm going to read your blog to live vicariously through you because I was not in Italy long enough! Where is your apartment at?

[chris] said...

Unlucky about the baggage and that. I'm sure you'll get it all sorted though!

James Martin said...

misty,

i live on viale lavagnini



chris,

i got my luggage today! check for the update :D