Sunday, September 7, 2008

sei [6]

Six days in already. It seems as though it has flown bye and I'm certain it will be no time at all until I'm flying back to the states.

I didn't go to bed last night until 4 am, partly because it was so hot, and partly because all of my friends from the states are six hours behind. I set the alarm for 11 am, quickly turning it off when it alarmed me, and continued to rest until 11:45. I did the usual stuff and made my way towards the Ikea bus shuttle. It's about a 10 - 15 minute walk to the shuttle, but its free and takes you directly to Ikea, without stopping. I was on one mission and one mission only: to get a fan. I so so desperately needed a fan because my lack of good sleep is starting to get to me.

Ikea

When I got to where the buses and shuttles normally are, I had no idea where the Ikea shuttle would be. I walked around a block, finding a McDonald's on the way. Finally, I turned around and on the way back stumbled upon it. I sat and waited for about 10 minutes before the bus started and air turned on... AIR. It was so amazing. I arrived to Ikea, which is almost identical to the other one I've been to in Ohio and began my trek through the store. I finally asked someone where their fans were. She didn't understand me, and so I tried some other employees. Finally, someone understood me well enough to tell me that they were sold out. I was so devastated. Before going back to wait for the shuttle, I grabbed a swedish hot dog and an ice cream. They were delish. I went back outside at 1:27 pm. The bus didn't come back until 2:19 pm. It was probably the most boring time of my stay so far in Italy. I shouldn't complain too much, though, because there was an overcast and breeze every once in a while. I boarded the shuttle and headed back to Firenze.

I wanted to swing by a supermarket on the way home to get some much needed groceries. However, the one I went to was closed. I panicked, thinking that they would all be closed and I wouldn't be able to get anything to eat for dinner. I headed back to the apartment and my roommate told me about another super market. I headed there and got some things that will hopefully last for a while, so that I can quit spending money on paninis. I got: spaghetti, sauce, tomatoes, basil, wine, beer, milk, eggs, bread, jelly, mortadella bologna, cheese, ketchup, mayonaise, olive oil, hot dogs, hamburger patties (America, here I come) and yogurt.

At last, It was time to make my own dinner. I made bruschetta. I diced up the tomatoes, mixed in the basil and olive oil, a pinch of salt, some pepper, and voila, the perfect salsa. :] I didn't get ciabatta bread, so I took a few pieces of the bread loaf I got and spread olive oil and pepper on them and baked for about 9 minutes. I opened the wine: Chianti. It was so good and is very easy to make. I sense that bruschetta will be a common meal for my time here.

bruschetta

After the consumption, I decided to organize my room and get ready for my first day of class tomorrow. It's my graphic design class, so I'm excited to meet some of the other students and see how much this class differs from the design courses at Bowling Green. After cleaning, I showered, grabbed the laptop and set sail for the dining room, the coolest room I could find.

I can't wait to let you guys know how my first day goes!

Arrivederci!

3 comments:

Heather said...

ciao James!

I finally got to read your blog... A fan is called a ventilatore. In Campo di Marte (maybe viale de mille) there are a bunch of electronics stores "elettronica".

You gotta get a fan, man! To get there, go to Piazza San Marco and get the 11, 17, 20 (we think, don't quite remember, but 11 for sure). Get off at Viale de Mille, cross the street and go to the left a bit up and you should see a bunch.

Sometimes the Standa grocery store even has fans, though! What is your schedule? Maybe we'll go on an adventure?

Taylor said...

OMG I LOVE BRUSCHETTA!!!!!! :D

Mmb said...

James! it seems as though things are going pretty well. definitely exciting. yay for you. i love reading about your adventures. :D