Thursday, September 4, 2008

tre

Imagine waking up every 20 minutes sweating.

I woke up at 11:30 today, later than I expected with my inability to sleep. However, around 8:30 I managed to drift into a dream. In the dream, I was walking the Italian streets, dressed in full Armani, walking two dogs. Suddenly, the streets became narrower eventually turning into a canal. I climbed on a raft sans dogs and began paddling my way through an unfamiliar setting. Just as the canal went around a bend, I saw two glasses of wine.

After waking up, I immediately checked my email. I received one from SACI informing me that my luggage had finally been delivered. I was excited, and immediately walked there to get them. While walking, I imagined myself wrestling two suitcases back, 3/5's of a mile, to my apartment. Then, an epiphany struck. TAXI. Sam, from SACI, called the taxi for me and it arrived within two minutes. I was amazed at how quick he got there. The route taken back to my apartment FINALLY exposed me to what Florence is all about. Large monuments and buildings that's beauty can't even be described through words. 10 minutes and 13 euros later, I was dropped off. Grazie. I don't know how I even considered wheeling the bags back from SACI after trying to carry them up the stairs of my apartment building. The third floor seemed so far away. Because the orientation was starting soon, I opened the bags, grabbed a pair of gym shoes, and left the apartment.

The orientation went well. It was hot, of course. But what isn't hot? They discussed various things to do, and not to do, around Florence. It was very informative and interesting to me because as lost as I was on the first day, any bit of information was appreciated. During the orientation, we also filled out or 'permission to stay' forms. It was funny, though, because David, the Dean, said that by the time we get the forms back, it will be almost time to leave. Awesome. I also met some of the faculty and staff of SACI that allowed me to finally put a face next to the names from the emails. After Orientation, I met with David to talk a little bit about what I'll be doing as far as the video goes for SACI. I will also be making a powerpoint that ties in with the orientations for the semesters yet to come.

After meeting with David, I ran into Caitlin, whom I chatted with a bit about Florence prior to us coming. She's been to Florence in the past so it was nice walking around with someone who was more familiar than I. She showed me the SACI living quarters, which is amazingly nice, and then we set off for a snack before the party that SACI through for all of the newcomers. On the way to the party, I came face to face with the legendary Duomo! It was so massive and empowering. I wish I could have stayed longer to see it, but there will be plenty of days for that!

The SACI party began at 6. They served us three different dishes, which I can't name, but only describe. One was a Ravioli. Another was a rice salad with tomatoes in it. The third was a spinach type pasta (similar to lasagna but without red sauce). After meeting a few people, I made my way back to the apartment.

The rest of the evening will consist of relaxing, unpacking my suitcase (which I'm very excited about) and possibly reading. A successful third day.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll finally figure out how to get my cell phone situation situated.

Ciao!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

No more chaos! I hope from this point forward all is well. The architecture must be incredible. I can't wait to see pictures. I imagine the food to be incredible as well. I'm waiting anxiously for the next post.

Unknown said...

jmart!

It sounds amazing man! I'm jealous I wish I was there. I'm reading your posts everyday I'm gonna RSS them if I can ;-) remember when you meet some hot Italian chicks takes some pics man! Be safe have fun.

-Tony

[chris] said...

Yea, what toni said about the italian chicks lol.
Sounds good so far, good job the luggage came through!
I wish I could do something like that it'd b awesome..
Ciao!

Kevin Woodland said...

Damn, i remember the first time I saw the Duomo. I felt both like crying and praying. Hopefully you'll be able to use that phone soon. Enjoy Florence, and get into those museums and churches as soon as you can. Check out Boboli Gardens before it closes in late fall. Take some sweet girl you meet at SACI—it's a great place to take a girl. If you're semester is anything like mine, you won't have any luck with those sexy Italian girls.