Monday, September 29, 2008

twenty eight

Today began at 9:45 am when I woke up, got a shower, grabbed some money and headed on an adventure. I went to a store called il plastico and got thin transparent plastic to use as covers for some upcoming book projects. I then went to a paper store and got a ream of colored copier paper for the excellent deal of... 8 euro. I can't believe its that expensive. That's like 12 US dollars. I'm still baffled.

I then made my way to Santa Maria Novella for art history class. Helen told us about the piazza and facade before entering the church. The interior of the church contains some of the most beautiful frescoes I've seen so far. The way the artists told stories through their paintings is nothing short of remarkable.

After art history, I rushed over to book making. We were given demos on different japanese stitching. We were then given the remainder of the time to work on our own books. This is where the clear plastic and color copier will come in to play. It's a long process, but I should have them done by Wednesday afternoon.

After book arts, and at the beginning of a headache, I strolled through various streets towards the Duomo. From there, I found the American Express. I exchanged 465 us dollars and received 311 euro. To my shock and delightment, I found 65 euro nestled away in my passport that I must have set aside the last time I exchanged money.

After the pit stop at AMex, I wandered around trying to find the bookstore I found online. After about 25 minutes of aimlessly walking Florence streets as if it were a maze, I stumbled upon the store. I bought two books. Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I began reading both, but really got into A Thousand Splendid Suns. The last chapter that I read gave me chills. I'm excited to continue it!

After having to put the book down to get some school work done, I screened a few videos and critiqued them for my meeting tomorrow with the video crew. I made some dinner: Tortellini con proscuitto and a glass of milk. I had a yogurt for dessert and ended up spilling some of the number pad of my keyboard. I cleaned it all up immediately but now my keyboard is acting really funky. It automatically adds extra characters and spaces when I type. I am going to try and clean it and hopefully it will work better tomorrow.

Now that I've gotten all my work for tomorrow caught up, talked to my family through gmail, and had an ice cold water, it's time for bed. Until tomorrow, goodnight!

No comments: