Thursday, October 9, 2008

38

I woke up today at 7:20am. I showered, got dressed, ate a pear and headed to the Duomo. We met in between the Duomo and the Baptistery doors and went over the door made by Ghiberti as well as Andrea Pisano. We then went to Orsanmichele and viewed the niches in which statues were placed to represent the guilds of Florence. We got to go upstairs and view the original statues which were awe-inspiring. We then began our small hike through the streets, along the Arno, across the river, and finally ended up at the amazing Brancacci Chapel, which contained frescoes that were restored after a fire, and also represent the beginning of Early Renaissance painting.

1 212

Class ended at 10:30, and on the twenty-five minute walk back towards my apartment, I stopped at the supermarket for yet another round of groceries. I got 2 pomodoro sauces, 2 basilica sauces, 2 types of pasta, bread, mortadella, cheese, tomatoes, bananas, tuna, mayonnaise, cereal, cookies, milk, 2 juices, cream cheese, a pizza, and a red bull for the soon to be study session for art history. Our exam is next Thursday and today Helen gave us the review sheet...48 pieces of art that we have to be able to identify, describe, compare, and analyze. Please wish me luck.

I went home, made a mortadella sandwich with fresh tomatoes. I checked emails and then headed back out for my 1pm design class. I worked on the collages that were due a while back, tweaking them. I also worked some more on the Manual while also researching some travel stuff. I went home at 4. I made pasta with tuna, spices, garlic and mayonnaise. It was pretty good and exciting to try something new.

1 230

At 5:15, I headed to the train station. I presented my research to the lady behind the counter and she was very willing to help. However, with the eurail pass (that I paid so much money for) only a certain number of seats per train may be used towards it. Therefore, the train from Brussels to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Paris were both booked. But, I could still pay 160 euro if I wanted. Yeah right. I walked all the way home, upset that things weren't working out.

I talked to mom for a while online, did some new research and came to the conclusion that I will just spend my fall break in London and Paris. I talked to Ashley and she told me of an apartment she is staying in while in Paris for 4 nights. I emailed the landlord and inquired for my own stay lasting from October 28 - November 1. The cost is 180 euro for 4 nights, so split evenly, will work out to only 22 euro a night. This is amazing to me, since we'll have our own apartment and won't have to worry about sharing a room in a hostel.

The time is late, and I want to get a nice night's sleep for once this week. I will talk to you all tomorrow. Ciao!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Photo 1205 is very cool! The steps end?

James Martin said...

yes! hahaha... isn't that awesome?