Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day 59: Paris

I woke up at 8:30 and did the usual routine. I left the apartment and stopped first at the Arc de Triomphe. I climbed the stairs to the top and took some pretty nice cityscape photographs. It was cold but the weather was clear enough to see pretty well. As I descended to leave, I was told that I had to wait for the procession that was taking place to end before I could head down to the Metro. The cop told me 10 minutes, which actually took about 30 minutes. It was so windy at the procession and the cold decided it did not want to let up.

Arc de Triomphe

Finally, I took the Metro to the RER train and headed to see Corbu's Villa Savoye. I just took a Modern Architecture course last semester so it was exciting to see a house that we studied up close and to actually walk through it. The house was located in zone 5, however, so I had to buy separate bus passes and a different train ticket back (which doesn't really make sense considering you pay so much for the Paris Pass which is supposed to include the travelcard, but it only covers zones 1-3).

Villa Savoye

Before boarding the train back, I stopped at a cafe and had a chicken club on a panini sub with a hot chocolate. I took the RER back and then transfered back to the Metro and headed to the Grevin Museum (which is a wax museum). I saw all the celebrity wax models but was also interested to see some important historical figures such as Da Vinci, Dali, Hitchcock, and Hemingway.

Leonardo DaVinci [wax]

I met zach at 4:30 at the Eiffel Tower. It was raining and freezing but she still bought tickets to go to the top. The view was amazing and it was well worth it. I remember back in the summer telling my parents that I was going to go up on top even though I am (or maybe I just was) afraid of heights. We went in the evening so it was pretty cool to see the transition from daylight to night and witnessing all of the lights turning on. We met a few kids from Canada up there who were traveling through Europe and also got to witness a proposal.

We headed back to Zach's apartment and then the unthinkable happened. I ate McDonald's. It was the only option, truly, and as long as I don't have McDonald's in Italy (which would be ridiculous to do with such lovely food to make) then I'll be okay.

I watched American Psycho with Christian Bale for the first time ever and then went to bed.

No comments: