Monday, October 20, 2008

7 squared

Today I woke up at 8am, showered, grabbed some book arts utensils and headed to SACI. I had to film the High Renaissance class today that dealt with Michelangelo. Afterwards, I planned the trains that I'd need to go to Venice and talked to Sam, the receptionist about them. I wrote a couple of blog entries to catch up from the weekend, and then went out to try and find a post office to mail my absentee ballot. Sam mentioned that I'd be able to get a stamp from the tobacci shop, but I had no luck at the two I tried.

On the way back to SACI, I stopped to get an apple juice. Not a little mini mone like from Vernazza either. A giant box one. It was delicious. I then went to art history. Today, Helen discussed Brunelleschi and some of his pieces including the Florence Cathedral and its dome.

After class, I went through the central market to try and get some good angles for one of my books in book arts. I grabbed a sandwich on the way to class. I got to book arts, which was a work day, and began the last of the 11 books that we've made so far. It's a long process, and I'm still not done. The critique with Patricia is on Wednesday, so I'll work on it tomorrow to do the finishing touches.

After class, I went home and checked emails. I had some leftover pasta from last night for dinner and then read some news stories and talked to some friends from back home. I went to eurostar dot com to order my train ticket from London to Paris when the unthinkable happened. I ordered the ticket, paid for it, and then, at the last possible minute, the point of no return, realized that the date was wrong. I had purchased the ticket for the 21st (tomorrow) instead of the 28th. I started to panic. I emailed eurostar and got an automated response stating that it would be 14 days until they could get back to me. I couldn't believe it. I consulted my mom about the situation and there wasn't much I could do. She recommended to try and call my credit card company to cancel the charge, but when I did, they informed me that they already gave the authorization to eurostar. They recommended to call in a couple of days and try and dispute the charges, but the ticket I purchased said non-refundable. I'm hoping that they'll understand that it was purely accidental and that I must change the date, and hopefully can do so without facing a penalty fee.

After the ordeal, I also talked to Papaw. I told him of the situation and he informed me that there's nothing that I can do now, that its out of my control. We talked about some other things too: politics, my trip to Cinque Terre, food. I got off the phone with him a little bit ago. Mom told me that her and Greg are carving pumpkins. I can't wait to see! Also, happy birthday Tony!! It's time for bed.

Buona Notte :]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tony Happy Birthday

Anonymous said...

Why don't you try and call them and have your mail reference number ready to prove that you foundout straight away?...? This comes from the conditions of carriage (your contract with them):

At the time you purchase a ticket, you should ensure that it is for the journey you wanted and that, if applicable, you have received the correct change. You should draw any apparent errors to the attention of our staff at the point of sale where you bought your ticket (or at another point of sale to which we direct you) as soon as possible. We can only consider claims made if you provide reasonable supporting evidence of an error.

James Martin said...

because I have no way of calling them. It is a UK number and I can only call numbers in the US or in Italy apparently. I tried emailing them straight away though... with no luck... I was told I had to wait 14 days for a response..

NAK4nonprofit said...

I just want you to know that your trip sounds like a lot of fun and I hope that you are having a grea time. I can't wait to have a couple beers with you and talk about your expirience. Take it easy buddy and I'll try to post again soon!