Friday, October 24, 2008

Day 53: London

I woke up at 5:30 am.

I got dressed and got to the station by 6:15 am.

The train departed at 6:30 and I was on my way to the Pisa Airport. I slept a little on the train, waking up once and freaking out because the kids behind me on the train who had earlier been talking about going to the airport for the London flight as well, were no longer audible. I turned around and couldn't see them. It wasn't until I stood up and saw them slouched over sleeping that I was finally able to breathe again.

view from my seat

We arrived to the airport at about 8:15 am. I checked in and got my boarding pass. I then ate a flanti and went through security. I got the passport stamped and then sat in the terminal. The expected departure time was 10:10 am, but it got delayed 40 minutes and we weren't able to actually board the plane until 10:50 am. The plane wasn't as small as I imagined it would be. I was able to get a window seat even though I was close to the last one to board. I ordered a snickers for 2 euro and finally landed at London Stansted at 12:45pm.

I took a bus in which I had previously booked called Terravision to the center of London. The bus ride was over an hour long and difficult because I had to carry the bag on my lap and hot because the air conditioning vent was messed up. I finally made it to the heart of the city at 2 pm. I bought a 1 day travelcard since my London Pass was only good for 3 days, and I am spending 4 days there. I took the underground (oh what a beautifully crafted system of travel) to King's Cross Road. I spent 20 minutes trying to find my hostel before finally stumbling upon it. The hostel was called Clink Hostel and I checked in, went upstairs and dropped off my bag in the 8 person room. I then began my next adventure: to pick up my London Pass. I took the bus this time and ended up kind of near the London Travel office that I needed. I walked for about 15 minutes and went inside. The time was now 4:43 pm and I remember vividly the time because the door said that the office closed at 4:30. I ran upstairs and asked if I could please pick up the pass and thankfully was allowed. I then went to Planet Hollywood to look at the pass and the sights that are included within it, and to eat. I ate a hamburger and fries and mapped out some of spots to go to on Saturday.

Clink Hostel

Wireless internet wasn't free, so I bought 30 minutes worth of time for one Great Britain Pound. I emailed the family and looked up some more information on what I should see. I went back to the room and met three kids around my age from Iowa. They are each stationed on an American base in England for the semester and traveled down to London. We all went to a club and spent a few hours there. I finally made it home around 1:30 am and went to bed.

No comments: