Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Day 57: Paris

I woke up at 4:30 am. I got some last minute things together, ripped of the sheets from my bed, and checked out of the hostel.

I got to the station and went through security before boarding my Eurostar train towards Paris. I slept for about an hour of the trip. I woke up and got a muffin and water from the concession on the train and read some more of the book.

I arrived to Paris at about 9:30 am Paris time (8:30 am London time) and began my trek to find the Hard Rock Cafe to pick up my Paris Pass. I asked a few Parisians for some assistance and they seemed happy to help. This dispelled the preconceived notion that Parisians hated Americans. So that was good. 30 minutes of walking and I finally strolled through the Hard Rock doors. I picked up the pass and then used the wireless internet to plan some of the things I wanted to do and got to chat with my mom on gmail. I ordered a hamburger and fries and then borrowed my waiters phone to call Zach and let him know I was in town.

sweet bridge

I took the Metro (the Parisian equivalent to London's Underground) to meet up with Zach and his roommate, Matt. We took a few trains to get to their apartment. The apartment is extremely small, but has a lofted area that has enough room for one of the beds. The other bed is located in the living room/kitchen/dining room area. I dropped of my bags and Zach and I ventured off into the center of the city. We saw the Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Louvre, and Notre Dame. We met up with a couple of his friends and went to eat at 'Creperia de Cluny.'

the tower!

After eating, we went back to the apartment. I was given an air mattress (which was amazing considering I had assumed I'd just be crashing on the floor). I registered for my spring semester classes back at Bowling Green and then watched Caddyshack.

I went to bed.

No comments: