Sunday, November 9, 2008

69: Urbino, Sansepolcro & Monterchi

I woke up at 7:15, had the coldest shower imaginable and then headed down to breakfast. They served us fruit, yogurt, and some cake.

We got on the bus and headed to Urbino. There we saw the birthplace of Bramante and Raphael as well as some other monuments. We saw the Ducal Palace which was built for Federico da Montefeltro. We broke for coffee and then saw the House of Raphael, which is where he was born. It included work from his father, also an artist, including a little well in which his father would ground his pigments. We saw 2 oratories, which are small chapels belonging to religious societies.

We broke for lunch. I had a ham and cheese panini and a water. I was scrapin' low for money at this point because I had taken less than I actually needed. We met back at the bus and embarked on our two hour journey towards Monterchi. We only saw one thing there which was the Madanna del Parto which reveals a pregnant madonna. A half hour later we boarded the bus again to make our last stop in Sansepolcro. Here we saw various things including the Civic Museum and the Cathedral. Within both included wonderful frescoes including the Resurrection by Piero della Francesca.

We finally boarded the bus for the last time and made another two hour journey back to Florence. I got home and made some pasta for dinner and got my things organized for the week to start.

I slept.

No comments: