Friday, November 14, 2008

Day 74: Venice

[notes from the moleskine sketchbook]

5 am: wake up, shower.

5:40: leave for train station.

5:50: arrive to station, realize I forgot my pass. Ride bike back to apartment.

6:05: arrive at station (part 2)

6:24: depart from Firenze SMN to Firenze Campo di Marte train station.

6:38: depart for Bologna for another train.

10:08: arrive to Venice. I walked around as soon as I got there and marveled at the beauty that lay before me. I saw the Grand Canal and had a mini panini on one of the bridges. I read some of the new book I picked up entited, A Kiss Before Dying.

11:25: met up with the rest of the class. I took a separate train than them so as to use my Eurail pass and save money on the overall cost of the trip. Once they arrived we checked in to the hotel. Alonzo, Allie, Jeremy and I shared a room that was actually separate from the hotel and the rest of the class. We then went to the church of St. Giorgio. We looked at the various artwork and then went up to the top of the campanile and got to see a very beautiful view of Venice.

3:30: free time. Alonzo, Eve, Jeremy, John and I walked around the streets. We found a small convenient store and bought some wine. I went to a bench right next to the canal opened the wine and watched the sunset create the most beautiful color I may have ever seen. It was remarkable. We headed back to the hotel. We met up for dinner with a good portion of the class. I had Baked Fish lasagna that was delightfully delicious. I tried tiramasu and flan for the first time. We then had a few people come back to our hotel room since we weren't connected to the main hotel. We opened more wine and spent the evening conversing, laughing, and enjoying ourselves.

2:30 am: sleep.

No comments: