Thursday, November 27, 2008

Day 87: St. Andrews

I woke up at 7:30 and showered for art history class. We met in front of the Palazzo Strozzi to see the palace. Next we saw the Palazzo Rucellai by Alberti. And then we were off to S. Trinita to look at Girlandaio's Sassetti Chapel frescoes. We ended the class by visiting the basilica of S. Spirito by Brunelleschi.

And then I ran home. On the way, I stopped at SACI to print out my intinery and then went through the central market and got a couple scarves (you know, its cold up north). I got to the apartment and finished packing some things and rearranging the room so that it'd be ready for when Greg and I returned on Saturday night.

I left the apartment at 1 and headed to the train station. I got on the train to Pisa Centrale and listened to the iPod on the way. I got off the train there and transferred to one that led to the airport. I got to the airport and wandered around for a bit until they opened the check in line. I checked in, went through security, got my passport inspected, and waited by the gate to board. I was there for about an hour and read while waiting. I finally boarded and sat in the exact same seat as the one I took to London (because Ryanair has an open seating, so its first come first served for seats). We took off and I finally finished How To Be Good. I talked to a few girls heading to Scotland and then before I realized it, we were landing.

I exited into the terminal and went upstairs to look for Borders. It was non-existent. I wandered around for a while longer and then walked back downstairs and finally found Greg. He was carrying this heavy duffle bag that had become his enemy during his travels. We took a bus to the Waverly train station.

From here we bought the train tickets and boarded the train. We were on the train for a little over an hour and were discussing some very philisophical topics such as how heavy the duffle bag was, how thanksgiving was going back home, and how tight it will be to golf the Old Course. We finally arrived to Leuchars station and from there split a taxi with a couple. Our driver dropped us off at 38 Market Street at the Hoppity House. We rang the bell, knocked, rang the bell twice, knocked, shouted, rang the bell and held it in, and then made exasaperated screams. We wandered through the streets and I finally walked into a restaurant to ask if we could use their phone book to call the owner of the hotel. Once we got through, he was at another place of his and had thought we weren't coming so he had headed there. We met up with him and checked in to our room. Finally.

Then it was time to have our Thanksgiving feast. We looked around Market Street, going back and forth and finally deciding on (believe it or not) a chinese place in which we could get chicken and rice. We had a couple budweisers and ordered a sampler platter. The lady brought the plate out and expected us to each pay 5.40 pounds for that single plate. We politely explained to her that she was nuts for trying to charge us such amount and we sent the plate back. Hah. Next try: The grocery store.

We walked aimlessly through the store and finally picked up a loaf of bread, salami, peperoni, cheese, and pringles. We paid and headed back to the room to eat. On the way we passed a place that smelled so delicious that we both agreed that it would be best to eat there. We dropped off our lunch meat and headed back to the restaurant. We ordered cheeseburgers and fries. Happy Thanksgiving. And Thank You. It was delicious.

We ate this in the room and then went to sleep. Goodnight Chaps.

No comments: